So late last week I was introduced to a game called Heredox, it's a simple tile game that is available as an app on you phone, tablet and probably wrist watch nowadays. The introduction came with a request to make a physical copy of the game to. I looked at it for a bit, thought I could do something nice with it and then took the job. I'm really pleased with the results even if it did take a few iterations to get it right.
The tiles are created by etching off the surface to leave the symbols behind in a very similar way to the fields on my Carcassonne tiles. The problem is that some of the symbols need to be white and some of them need to be black and this is on the same time.
Etching then painting each tile individually is a fiddly job that I'd rather not do, so I devised a template that showed me where I should be painting the tiles. I needed a trick that would allow me to realign all the tiles at once. Only cutting the border allows me to pick up all the tiles, pull them out, paint them them and then because I left the offcuts in the machine I could put it back in the hole and continue cutting again.
White paint picks up smoke staining easily and barely looks any different so after the first iteration I was only painting the black tiles. I etched away the background but it left the symbols looking a little bit fuzzy so I went back and outlined all the symbols too to give it a neat crisp edge. As a nice little finishing touch I cut the instructions and the game name into 2 additional tiles.